Sunday, January 11, 2015

OF MAMMIES AND PICKENENNIES: HOW TO EMBRACE A DIFFICULT PAST!



MAMMIES AND PICKENENNIES!


I can’t make you love yourself,
I can’t make you cherish your history,
I can’t, no indeed I can’t
Keep you from seeing mammies and pickenennies,
Instead of your own hard-fought history,
I can’t make you embrace the enslavement of your ancestors,
I can’t, no indeed I can’t,
I can’t make you cherish the humble lifestyle they endured,
No more than I can make you stop hating yourself,
I can’t, no indeed I can’t,
I can’t make you understand,
How to celebrate your history, its every nuance now,
If you choose to erase it in your shame,
I can’t participate in your self-hatred game,
I can’t, no indeed I can’t,
When your history is erased you will not have a name,
Your pathway will be lost, and others will claim,
The history you failed to love,
Because you saw mammies and pickenennies,
Instead of you,
Brotha I can’t, no indeed I can’t,
Nor do I have any hope for you,
you've sold your legacy down the river,
there's nothing more that I can do
I can't, I certainly can't
give another thought to your treachery,
or to you...

FIN


BY BIGDADDY BLUES

A GALLERY OF RELATED IMAGES

















No comments:

Post a Comment